Sunday, February 11, 2007

"I Pray You Will Weep"

At the end of our second worship service this morning when I stepped out of the pulpit to do the benediction, I funny thing happened. I felt lead by God to say something I wouldn't normally have said. I looked at the congregation and said, "I pray you will weep." I was not wanting any sorrow to befall them, I was speaking in terms of praying that each of them would come to an acute awareness of their own brokenness. I was speaking in terms of each person coming to terms with what sin really means - to really grieve over our disobedience to God. As part of this morning's message, I read the words of David in Psalm 51: "Against you, you alone, I have sinned." Our disobedience breaks God's heart, and when we realize how much He loves us, shouldn't it break our heart too when we break His? Do we blow off our sins because we know God will forgive us, or are we truly sorrowful over the fact that we are fallen? Are we sorrowful enough that we would shed tears over our sins?

I pray you will weep.

No comments: