Saturday, February 10, 2007

Syndication

On January 25, a producer and film crew for the syndicated television program "American Bible Society Presents" interviewed me for an upcoming episdode. The interview went well, I suppose. But if I never have to sit under the bright lights any time soon again that will be okay with me. My office has an open area of about 8'x10', and in that space we had the following:
· 1 medium size tripod with a spotlight
· 1 medium size tripod with a boom microphone
· 1 huge tripod with a huge television camera (they told me the camera cost about $150,000)
· 1 television monitor
· 1 huge tripod with a 3'x3' square light
· sound equipment
· 1 man to operate the sound equipment
· 1 man to operate the camera
· 1 man to conduct the interview (plus a chair for him)
and...
· me (with a chair as well)

Needless to say it was cramped in here. Once we got started, I was very nervous, and never really did get comfortable in front of the camera - funny thing, I speak in front of a hundred or more people every Sunday, but I was nervous speaking to three men and a camera. But when we were finished, the producer told me it went great. He said I gave them a lot of good stuff to work with.

The show will probably air sometime in March or April, the producer will let me know when and where, so I can post that information here and on the Church Mice website .

Now here's the kicker - this show is a syndicated television program. Way back when I first started Church Mice, I prayed that one day it would get syndicated. (Syndication is, after all, the Holy Grail for cartoonists). It dawned on me after the interview that God answered my prayer. I got syndication, just not the kind I had envisioned. Just goes to show, no prayer goes unanswered!

I am still having trouble believing all of this has actually happened. Someone from California flew out here to do an interview about Church Mice - it blows my mind... God has really blessed me.

P.S. For you 'toonists, get this - the camera operator was telling me he once worked on a project with Chuck Jones... how cool is that?

No comments: